Saturday, November 2, 2013

DxO Optics Pro 9: remarkable results from new PRIME noise reduction engine

I’ve been testing out the newest version of a raw conversion software I’ve had for several years, DxO Optics Pro, now in version 9. The new version includes their latest noise reduction engine which they call PRIME. It’s very computationally intensive and takes quite a long time to process each image (5 minutes or more on my 5-year-old iMac), but I’ve been very pleased with the results it achieved on some of my most difficult images.

I shot a series of photos of my daughter’s flamenco teacher performing at a tablau in Seville, Spain in 2009. Needless to say, this was a rare opportunity, so a re-shoot is not in the cards anytime soon. But to capture the dance I was obliged to shoot at very high ISO (5000) and, on top of that, something went horribly wrong with the color as the stage lights messed with the white balance. I was so disappointed, and feared these images were a total loss. But I never deleted them, and from time-to-time have tried to rescue them using various software tools. Until recently, none produced results that were very satisfactory.

But here is a before/after sequence showing the results I was able to get with DxO 9, using their new PRIME tool.




It’s not perfect, of course, and a more skilled user might have gotten better results than I did, but I was delighted to recover usable images from this series. I’ve printed at 8x10 and the output looks quite good to me, considering how these images started.

These images have great sentimental value for my family, and I’m really pleased that DxO enabled me to  recover them. 

1 comment: